Monday, January 10, 2011

Deer Season 2010 @ Fluvanna Texas, December 10-12

     On this weekend, my brother Roger "Leroy", came out to hunt (hang out). He was "needing" fresh venison to take back home. It didn't take him long. He arrived at 3:30 PM and had a doe and a spike by 5 PM.
     Also, I acquired a new pasture to hunt that is just north of the 'wheat pasture', which is just north of our 'west pasture'. As this was a new acquisition, I didn't have much time to set up a blind. I bought several bales of hay in Snyder and hastily put together a blind, on a fence line between the new pasture (heavily wooded) and the 'wheat pasture'. I was hoping to catch a buck leaving the cover enroute to the wheat. I didn't find a buck (that I wanted to pull the trigger on). However, I did see large numbers of does and small bucks. I also took the time to move one of our other blinds to the north end of this new pasture, so that I could hunt in that area at a later time. I was able to take a walk around through the new pasture and I found a large number of scrapes and rubs. The cover is extremely heavy in this new pasture and it appears that there has been no activity here by people or live stock for a long time.



Camp set up on the south side of the containers,
as the wind was out of the north.



Leroy in camp



Leroy hiking out of hunting area (West Pasture)



 Leroy skinning a couple of deer



Sitting in the 'hay blind' looking for a "shooter"



Large numbers of does and small bucks
crossing from the wooded area to the 'Wheat Field'



A Kestrel sitting on a power line.
These are very difficult to get close enough to photograph

No comments:

Post a Comment